LOCATED ON A BEAUTIFUL HORSE RANCH IN LIGNUM, VA
The purpose of the Instructional Assistant is to provide individual and/or group instructional support to students, as well as to assist classroom teachers with documentation and other duties. Under the guidance and instruction of the Residential Teacher, the Instructional Assistant helps implement teacher-prepared lesson plans; assists with the supervision of students; is instrumental in maintaining a positive behavioral environment for students; and assists in keeping the classroom neat, attractive and orderly.
This position does not have direct reports.
• Assists in individual and group instruction of students, as assigned by teacher.
• Assists teacher in supervising students in the classroom, to maintain positive and effective learning environment.
• Take on additional assigned responsibilities in the temporary absence of the teacher from the classroom.
• Assists in the implementation of Positive Behavior Intervention Plans.
• Assists teacher in supervising students throughout the scheduled workday.
• Supervises before and after school hours, during transitions and recreational activities, for restroom breaks, and mealtime.
• During non-school days, work in the cottages with the children.
• Follow all school policies, and assist with the appropriate enforcement of Village rules and guidelines.
• Communicate professionally and effectively with students, administrators, teachers and other school staff.
• Carries out other duties as assigned.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Minimum of one year of practical experience
• A current and valid unrestricted Driver's License
• At least 21 years of age
• Strong verbal, written, and listening communication skills to include communicating clearly, effectively, tactfully, and patiently to a diverse population.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demeanor with the ability to build rapport and garner trust with others.
• Proficient in the use of a PC; in a Windows environment; in the use of the Internet; and in the use of MS Office Applications such as Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Ability to pass fingerprint background screening through the Department of Justice, FBI and Child Abuse Central Index.
• Ability to effectively engage with children from various backgrounds and circumstances.
• Ability to provide consistency and behavioral limits through relationship-based interventions.
• Ability to maintain professional behavior in high pressure situations.
• Ability to solve problems by applying basic analytical skills to include collating and reporting information; identifying trends and exceptions; investigating to define problems more accurately; sorting information in order of importance; identifying relationships and linkages between components; identifying variable potential causes and effects; soliciting guidance to define criteria and assign values of importance and urgency; and escalating issues of an exceptional nature.
• Ability to work collaborative as part of a team.
• Ability to demonstrate dependability and flexibility.
• Ability to deliver high level of professionalism and service.
• Ability to work with confidential information.
• Willingness and ability to embody Childhelp’s core values of Acting with Honor and Character, Being Open and Receptive, Caring About and Relating to Others; Nurturing Diverse Relationships; Performance Excellence; and Inspirational Leading & Managing
• Ability to frequently stand, see, hear, speak, and be physically flexible; occasionally sits walk, stoop, lift up to 50 lbs., carry, run and drive; and at times may bend, climb, squat, kneel, push/pull.
• Ability to spend 65% of time outdoors, 35% indoors, withstand moderate noise levels including voice levels 90% of the time, extreme heat up to 111 degrees; wind, rain cold weather; to operate household appliances; to drive an automobile; occasionally work alone; work with others 85% of the time.
• Employees may be exposed to children who may ask inappropriate personal questions, display socially unacceptable personal behaviors, insult your physical appearance, age, sex, and race, use profanity, sexually explicit phrases, exhibit defiance, dishonesty, threats, accusations, and theft, assaultive behaviors and self-destructive behaviors.