The Shift Leader performs all functions related to maintaining overall store operations, including great customer service, cleanliness, and assisting teams as needed. Ensures a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient customer service to customers and other store Team Members. Complies with team and store Standard Operating Procedures. All Whole Foods Market Retail jobs require ensuring a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient service to customers and Team Members at all times. All positions must strive to support WFM core values and goals, promote national, regional, and store programs and initiatives, and ensure adherence to all applicable health and safety regulations including Food Safety and regulatory duties required in the department.
- Works all scheduled shifts and attends required trainings and meetings.
- Makes sure customers are being taken care of and the store looks great at all times.
- Provides excellent customer service and addresses customer needs in a timely and effective manner; surprises and delights customers with consistent, delightful service.
- Oversees entire store operations with particular focus on cleanliness, fullness of product displays, signage quality, safety, and customer service.
- Keeps store environment clean and neat, upholding all standards pertaining to cleanliness, HACCP, and Team Member safety, and customer safety.
- Consistently communicates and models WFM vision and goals.
- Contributes to establishment and maintenance of a positive work environment, high morale, and the WFM culture.
- Provides assistance to all teams as needed, including performing “dirty work” – sweeping, mopping, wiping down tables, checking bathrooms, etc.
- Responds to concerns in the absence of Store Leadership.
- Sets and achieves the highest standards in retail execution.
- Supports regional vision and executed all regional directives and programs.
- Completes all necessary paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
- Follows food safety and sanitation guidelines.
- Responds promptly to customer needs and questions and requests assistance when necessary; including answering the store phone system.
- Leads by example.
- Performs other duties as assigned by leadership.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with other Team Members and leadership.
- Ability to understand Team Members’ and store needs.
- Demonstrates creativity in promoting sales, merchandising and/or marketing.
- Demonstrates appropriate decision-making, critical thinking, and analysis; takes a creative and analytical approach to problem -solving.
- Ability to synthesize data into an overall picture, resolve issues with unknown variables, and apply common sense in the interpretation and application of instructions.
- Able to handle difficult or emotional client situations, solicit client feedback, and respond effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to resolve conflicts without blaming.
- Remains open to others’ ideas and willing to try new approaches and methods.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands, and deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to change and adapt methods / approach to best fit dynamic situations.
- Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, and inspires the trust of others.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Strong understanding of WFM quality standards.
- Thorough product knowledge.
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities.
- Detail oriented, well organized, and able to adhere to deadlines.
- Possesses basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and Excel.
- 18+ months retail Team Member experience and 6+ months of supervisory experience.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions:
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Exposure to temperatures: 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Ability to use tools and equipment, including box cutters, knives, electric pallet jacks, forklifts, hand trucks, six-wheel carts, balers, and other heavy machinery.